Fellow in Development Studies
Ph.D. (University of Massachusetts, Amherst)
BOOKS / BOOK CHAPTERS
- (Re)forming development through water reforms. Book -in-progress.
- Chapter titled “Scale, Diverse Economies, and Ethnographies of the State” forthcoming in Water Resources Policies in South Asia: Analyzing Regional and Country Experiences edited by Anjal Prakash, Sreoshi Singh, S. Janakarajan, Chanda Gurung Goodrich and Dibya Ratna Kansakar.
- Chapter titled “The Right to Water in Different Discourses” forthcoming in Engendering Integrated Water Management in South Asia: Policy, Practice and Institutions, edited by Sara Ahmed, Margreet Zwarteveen and Suman Gautam, Sage Publications.
- Extending the Security Discourse to the Environment and Water, in Paradigms of Security in Asia edited by Arpita Basu Roy, New Delhi: Manohar Publishers, 2011, pp. 61-73.
- Chapter titled “Discourses in Water and Water Reform in Western India”, in Water Governance in Motion: Towards Socially and Environmentally Sustainable Water Laws, edited by Philippe Cullet, Alix Gowlland-Gualtieri, Roopa Madhav and Usha Ramanathan, Cambridge University Press, New Delhi: 2010, pp. 53-79.
- Chapter titled “Institutional Reforms for Water” (co-authored with Roopa Madhav) in Water Law for the 21st Century: National and International Aspects of Water Law Reforms in India, edited by Philippe Cullet, Alix Gowlland-Gualtieri, Roopa Madhav and Usha Ramanathan, Abingdon: Routledge, 2009, pp. 138-159.
- Interdisciplinarity in Water Research, Education and Activism in South Asia: The Way Ahead (jointly with Vishal Narain and K J Joy). Forthcoming in South Asian Water Studies.
- Rural Drinking Water Reforms in Maharashtra: The Role of Neoliberalism. Economic and Political Weekly XLV(4: 62-69), January 23-29, 2010.
- Sector Reforms in Water in Western India: Commercialization,
Self–Sufficiency, and Restructuring of relations . Geoforum 40:228-238,2009.
- Water rights for the Landless in Western India: From Pani
Panchayat to Water Entitlements. European Journal
of Development Research 21(2:195-212),April 2009.
- 24 / 7, ‘Privatization’, and Water Reform: Insights
from Hubli–Dharwad(co–authored with Roopa Madhav and
Clifton D’Rozario). Economic and Political Weekly XLIII
No.14, April 5, 2008.
- Community Formation, ‘Ideal’ Villages and Watershed
Development in Western India, Journal of Development Studies 44
(3: 384–408) March 2008.
- ‘Equity in Watershed Development: A Case Study in Western
Maharashtra’, Economic and Political Weekly, XLI (21),
May 27, 2006.
WORKING PAPERS AND OTHER ARTICLES
- “Development via the Lens of Value and Labour”, review of Vinay Gidwani’s Capital, Interrupted: Agrarian Development and the Politics of Work in Indiain Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences (Journal of the Inter-University Centre for Humanities and Social Sciences, Volume XVI (1and2), 2009, pp. 281-287.
- K J Joy, Priya Sangameswaran, A Latha, Shripad Dharmadhikary, M K Prasad and K P Soma, 2011, ‘Life, Livelihoods, Ecosystems, Culture: Entitlement and Allocations of Water for Competing Uses’ (position paper by the thematic subgroup on Water Entitlements and Allocations for Livelihoods and Ecosystem Needs), Pune: Forum for Policy Dialogue on Water Conflicts in India.
- “Water: Perspectives of Governance”, review of
Vishwa Ballabh edited ‘Governance of Water: Institutional
Alternatives and Political Economy’ in Economic and
Political Weekly, XLIV (2: 37-40).
- Review of David Mosse’s ‘The Rule of Water:
Statecraft, Ecology and Collective Action in South India’in Contributions to Indian Sociology 43 (1:160-163), February 2009.
- Book Review of Arun Agrawal’s ‘Environmentality:
Technologies of Government and the Making of Subjects’ in
Biblio: A Review of Books, November–December 2005.
- Review of Right to Water: Human Rights, State Legislation and
Civil Society Initiatives in India’, Technical Report,
Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies in Environment and
Development, Bangalore, January 2007.
- Entries on “Drinking Water”, “Irrigation”,
and “Water Law”, in Encyclopedia of Environment and
Society edited by Paul Robbins, Sage Publications, August 2007.